Premier League clubs are set to decide on Tuesday whether or not to stick with their controversial pay-per-view arrangements for the round of games prior to the November international break.
Fifteen matches played after this month’s internationals were not selected for regular television broadcast and had to be bought on a pay-per-view basis via Sky Sports’ or BT Sport’s box office services at £14.95 each.
Fans’ groups including the Football Supporters’ Association urged the league and the broadcaster to reconsider the pricing.
Many supporters have opted to donate money to food banks and other charitable causes instead of paying the fee.
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said earlier this month the price was ‘defensible’ while BT Sport said it was simply covering its costs in screening these matches.
But the top-flight clubs will be under pressure to look again at the pricing, with a decision set to be taken on Tuesday about what broadcast arrangements to put in place for the matches being played between November 6 and 8.
Saints boss tipped for Man United job, Kane and Son star again, Deeney on Rashford
Kane and Son on course to break record set by Chelsea legends after Burnley win
PL’s deadliest duo? Kane and Son combine for Spurs for ninth time this term
Solskjaer urged to change Man United’s formation to accommodate Fernandes and Pogba
Man United chief looking to follow Liverpool’s lead and employ new data scientist
‘It’s not acceptable’ – Newcastle owner Ashley urges PL to reconsider PPV pricing
Grant scores first goal for West Brom to rescue vital point away at Brighton
Germany World Cup winner snubs Arsenal contract extension and will leave in 2021
Maradona jokes he wants one thing for 60th birthday… and England fans won’t like it
Marseille v Man City commentary and team news: Latest from Champions League clash
Premier League clubs had hoped to welcome back some supporters to stadiums from October 1, but the Government has imposed an indefinite delay on those plans due to the rise in coronavirus cases nationwide.
The league has warned English football will lose £100million for every month fans remain barred from grounds, with the EFL stating on Sunday that the Government’s position was “frustrating and perplexing”, with indoor venues such as shopping centres and cinemas open to the public.